For the 2021 Virtual session applicants must currently be in their junior or senior year in high school or the home school equivalent.
It is the rule of the American Legion Auxiliary Illini Girls State Committee that the selection of the applicants must be based on fairness.
Selection should not be limited to Junior members of the American Legion Auxiliary or to the family members of The American Legion Family.
Applicants much have their own email address (not a school account), internet access and a device (preferably with a camera as the main platform will be Zoom).
There is an application that must be filled out and returned to the local American Legion Auxiliary Unit. This application can be found on this website. Please note that the following rules apply:
1. The application must be signed by the high school principal or guidance counselor certifying that the applicant is maintaining a C average or above, possesses qualities of leadership, has good character, and is cooperative.
2. Applicants must attend the entire session of American Legion Auxiliary Illini Girls State.
3. Each applicant must be willing to pledge allegiance to the Flag of our Country and abide by all rules of ALA Illini Girls State.
4. Applicants must be sponsored by an American Legion Auxiliary Unit. If you are unsure how to find a Unit, you can call our Department office at 1-309-663-9366 for assistance. Auxiliary Units can accept outside funding to send an applicant, but the sponsor is still that Auxiliary Unit.
5. The applicant will be expected to visit or send a written report to the sponsoring Unit highlighting her expericences at ALA Illini Girls State.