American Legion Auxiliary Illini Girls State 82nd Session is being planned for June 18 - 24, 2023 on the campus of Eastern Illinois University, Charleston.
American Legion Auxiliary Illini Girls State is a simulated government program using Illinois government as a template. Our program provides citizenship training for approximately 400 High School Junior girls. Upon arrival, attendees become citizens of cities within counties. Two political parties campaign for offices; elected officials then assume duties as American Legion Auxiliary Illini Girls State officials. Residency is within campus dorms. Our goal is to provide awareness of the responsibilities, rights and privileges of being American citizens while participating in the functioning of government.
ONLY girls who are interested and wish to attend should be considered to represent your school. Selection should be based upon leadership, citizenship, good character and cooperation. Eligibility is limited to girls who have currently completed their HIGH SCHOOL JUNIOR year, are a current resident of the United States, and maintain a “C” AVERAGE. Our program is “physically strenuous” and intellectually challenging.
We solicit your assistance by nominating your qualified candidates. We also invite you to attend an orientation session at a Unit or District near you or view one online at www.alaigs.org.
We are very proud of American Legion Auxiliary Illini Girls State. With the continued support of dedicated persons and organizations, we anticipate many more years of providing government in action training.
Applicants must currently be in their junior year in high school or the home school equivalent.
There is an application that must be filled out and returned to the local American Legion Auxiliary Unit. This application can be found on this website. Please note that the following rules apply:
1. The application must be signed by the high school principal or guidance counselor certifying that the applicant is maintaining a C average or above, possesses qualities of leadership, has good character, and is cooperative.
2. Applicants must attend the entire session of American Legion Auxiliary Illini Girls State.
3. Each applicant must be willing to pledge allegiance to the Flag of our Country and abide by all rules of ALA Illini Girls State.
4. Applicants must be sponsored by an American Legion Auxiliary Unit. If you are unsure how to find a Unit, you can call our Department office at 1-309-663-9366 for assistance. Auxiliary Units can accept outside funding to send an applicant, but the sponsor is still that Auxiliary Unit.
5. The applicant will be expected to visit or send a written report to the sponsoring Unit highlighting her expericences at ALA Illini Girls State.